International Students' Glossary of Terms

F-1 Visa: typical visa for an international student is granted in order to study in the United States at a higher learning institution.

H-1B Visa: long-term work visa which allows international employees to work up to 6 years. There is a limited number of H-1B visas granted each year.

J-1 Visa: international exchange students and visiting foreign scholars use this visa to study or do research in the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT): authorization for off-campus employment allowing an F-1 student to gain professional experience by participating in a paid internship, cooperative education, practicum, or research project in the field of study.

Optional Practical Training (OPT): short-term work visa that allows an F-1 visa holder to gain one year of work experience in the field of study.