Need an appointment?
Appointments are offered Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., except when campus offices are closed for holidays. Availability may be limited prior to and during career events such as the Career Expo and Mock Interview Day. Appointments may be in-person, as a phone consultation, or via Skype.
Student demand for appointments is high. If you need the appointment for a class assignment, please schedule as soon as possible, because this high demand may limit the availability of appointment options. Because of this high demand, we request that you cancel any appointment that you cannot attend. Students who consistently fail to show up for an appointment may not be allowed to self-schedule appointments for up to one semester.
Ways to make an appointment
You can schedule an appointment with one of our Career Resources Specialists or Graduate Students in one of three ways:
- Log into Handshake. Click the Career Center drop-down menu and select Appointments. If you are using the mobile app, select School and then Appointments.
- Choose a Category based upon your needs, and then select an Appointment Type.
- The next screen will show you days and times that are available based upon the category and appointment type. You also may select a specific staff member and an appointment medium (in-person, phone, email, or Skype). Select the day and time you wish to request.
- The next screen shows details for your appointment and a pre-appointment survey. All fields marked with an asterisk (*) are require You will receive email notification from Handshake when your appointment has been approved. You also will receive email reminders of your appointment.
- If you are unable to make an appointment online or to select an option that fits your schedule, call our office at 417-836-5636.
- Come to the Career Center in one of our two locations: Carrington 309 or Glass Hall 276.
Types of appointments
When you schedule an appointment, please specify the category and type of appointment you need. Each option includes a brief definition. In Help Requested, include information on your specific needs. Categories for appointments include the following:
- Career Assessments
- Career Documents & LinkedIn
- Explore Majors & Careers
- Graduate School Preparation
- Interview Preparation
- Job/Internship Search
- Specialized Programs
What to bring to your appointment
If you are having job search or graduate school application materials (e.g. resume, cover letter, personal statement, etc.) reviewed, please bring a hard copy of the document(s). With all types of appointments, we suggest you bring something with which to take notes.
Arriving at your appointment
Please arrive on time for your appointment so you get the most benefit from the meeting. If you have not arrived within 15 minutes, your appointment will be cancelled and designated as a “No show.”
If you need more time than is allotted for the appointment, you may schedule another appointment. There is no limit to the number of appointments you may have.
Once you arrive at the office’s front desk, check in at the kiosk by entering your BearPass ID (M#) or your public email address. On the next check-in page, select one of the following options:
Option 1: Previously scheduled appointment (includes relevant information about the appointment). Select this option if you are checking in for the specific appointment that appears.
Option 2: Drop-in. Select this option if you do not have a previously scheduled appointment. If you select this option, the next screen will prompt you to select the type of assistance you need (e.g. resume critique). Once you select the appropriate category and appointment type, you will receive a message informing you of having checked in successfully.
Once you have checked in, you may take a seat until the Career Center staff member comes to greet you.
After your appointment
After your appointment, you will receive a post-appointment survey. We value your feedback and appreciate your taking the time to complete the survey.